Reading about crucial design flaws in the internet and when they were made. For a nerd like me, stuff like this is funny.
” The Internet has:
– Botched the protocol design
– Botched the architecture
– Botched the naming and addressing
– When they had an opportunity move in the right direction with application
names, they didn’t. They did DNS.
– When they had an opportunity to move in the right direction with node
addresses, they didn’t. They did IPv6.
– More than Botched Network Management
– Botched the Congestion Control twice
– Once so bad it probably can not be ﬁxed.”
“But It is a Triumph!
• But It Works!
• So did DOS. Still does.
• With enough Thrust even Pigs Can Fly!
• As long as ﬁber and Moore’s Law stayed ahead of Internet
Growth, there was no need to confront the mistakes.
• Now it is catching up to us and can’t be ﬁxed.
– Fundamentally ﬂawed, a dead end. “