I’m just one of many thousands of people that have a story to tell about “where they were” that day and how they were connected to it.

Nothing heroic :) I’m just one of many thousands of people that have a story to tell about “where they were” that day and how they were connected to it. I feel very connected to the victims because I could’ve been one of them. If the train ran late, or the event happened 40 minutes earlier, I’d be at the bottom of a very large pile of concrete and steel or at the very least, caught up in a huge mess. So, I’m lucky. .


“On September 11, 2001, the station was shut down by the Port Authority after the first airplane hit the North Tower of the World Trade Center. A train from Newark that came into the terminal at 8:55 am stopped only to pick up passengers. A second train, from Hoboken, came through at 9:00 am but did not stop and returned to New Jersey. An empty train was sent to the station at 9:10 am to pick up a dozen PATH employees and a homeless individual, leaving the station empty.[20]”


Oh whew – I’m mistaken. It still would have been a mess though.
“In the 9/11 attacks, some sections of the station, including the floor and the signage on the northeast corner, were only lightly damaged in the collapse of the World Trade Center. “


I was supposed to be taking a “basics of Unix Training” course run by Hewlett-Packard that I didn’t need a block from the WTC. I got out of it beforehand – had to escalate from my boss, to my boss’ boss, to my boss’ boss’ boss to get out of it.

To me, it was a waste of a week because a) I already knew Unix and b) I was in the middle of a few projects.

[of course a certificate would be shiny and nice but really was a waste of time]

I doubt I would’ve died but it would’ve been a truly dreadful day, especially since I *probably* would have not brought a lunch with me. Plus the long walk across that bridge to get back to New Jersey… and I’d probably have some kind of nasty lung cancer on top of it.

I did see the towers. From the top of our 7 story parking garage, I saw one standing and a plume of smoke from the other. [15 miles away I think as the crow flies]. Never expected the 2nd one to go. I think that shocked me more than the first because that’s when I REALLY knew something was horribly, horribly wrong


I learned a lot about the media that day as well. Speculation would turn into fact within minutes as one reporter reported as fact something they repeated from another journalist’s speculation based upon a phone call or a random thought they had in their heads to the point that no one knew what was happening.

Of course it was chaos and everybody wanted to be the first to get the information out there but here we are, 15 years later, and a lot of the actions of the journalists have grown into conspiracy theories of their own.


woah. THIS is how mass panic happens here… wow. At least with the internet now, 15 years later, we have a chance to double check the things we hear. But at the time… they were *it*… and perhaps even now things haven’t changed uch.


our internet at work slowed down to a crawl when it happened and i couldn’t get through to ANY news outlets online. Plus the glass of the building was heavy and we could only get a radio in if we pressed a radio up to the window.

Hours worth of barely having any idea what was happening.


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

six − = 3

Leave a Reply