The rub is: It’s my country. I care about my country and the direction it goes in. I expect certain things to never change in US politics:
1) we’re gonna bomb the shit out of somebody
2) we’re going to complain about the new people, whether new immigrants or new politicians
3) the news is going to weave a fable
4) alternative news is going to weave a fable
5) each of the fables have some truth values within and lots of exaggeration but mostly he said/she said gossip speculation bullshit.
6) we’re going to abuse SOMEBODY’S human rights.
7) politicians are going to make $$$ out of the deals
8) they’re going to tell us how awesome they are and how awful their competition is.
This won’t change under Trump’s administration nor with Congress (who always has more power than the Executive office).
Point #6 – human rights – is a big one for me. I expect the US to commit human rights violations: we’re good at it. It’s what we do well. But damn, at least hide it from me as a citizen.