Found a smart guy in a ResearchGate discussion, Güngör Gündüz, who had written a paper “Fractal Dimensions and Entropies of Meragi Songs”, in Nonlinear Phenomena in Complex Systems and gave a great answer whether or not there is a correlation between entropy and fractal dimensions — he suspects there is not correlation despite an association yet would like to be proven wrong.
So going through some other papers of his, I noticed he has been taking diverse studies and calculating their viscoelastic properties – which is REALLY quite smart as you get expansion, flow and contraction all in one, which covers an awful lot of phenomenon in the world.
So, in “The dynamics of the rise and fall of empires”, he tackles world empires throughout history as viscoelastic structures and gives some plausible notions, some of which I disagree with but I can’t fault the focus and dedication here and he may be correct.
One of my favorite things in this paper though? It wasn’t the analysis of all empires in world history but this list in an appendix of every empire he analyzed.
# States, empires, or regions
1. Amazonians chiefdoms, Farming replacing hunter and gatherers, Huari empire, Monioc farmers, Pampas hunter and gatherers, Savanna hunter and gatherers, Shell¯sh gathers and marine mammal hunters, Tiahuanaco empire.
2. Arawakan moniac farmers, Inca empire, North Indean chiefdoms, Pampas hunter gatherers, Savanna hunter and gatherers, Shell¯sh hunter and marine mammal gatherers, Tupi guarani savanna and highland farmers, Kingdom of Navarre.
3. Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, British territory, Chile, Colombia, Dutch territory, Ecuador, French territory, Pampas hunter-gatherers, Paraguay, Peru, Shell¯sh gatherers and marine mammal hunters, Uruguay, Venezuela.
4. Anasazi culture, Arctic marine mammal hunters, Carib farmers, Desert hunter and gatherers, Eastern woodlands hunter-gatherers and cultivators, Hobokam culture, Maize farmers, Maya city states, Mesoamerican city states, Missisippian temple mound builders, Mogollon culture, Monte alban (Zapotec), North andrean chiefsdom, Plains bison hunters, Sub-arctic forest hunter-gatherers, Toltec empire, – Foraging hunting and ¯shing peoples.
5. Anasazi culture, Arctic marine mammal hunters, Carib farmers, Desert hunter and gatherers, Eastern woodlands hunter-gatherers and cultivators, Hobokam culture, Maize farmers, Maya city states, Mesoamerican city states, Missisippian temple mound builders, Mogollon culture, Monte alban (Zapotec), North andrean chiefsdom, Plains bison hunters, Sub-arctic forest hunter-gatherers, Toltec empire, Foraging hunting and ¯shing peoples.
6. Arctic marine mammal hunters, British territory, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Elsalvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Plateau ¯shers and hunter gatherers, Russian American, Spanish territory, Sub-arctic forest huntergatherers, United States, West coast foraging hunting and ¯shing.
7. Sumer, Chaldee, Elam, Akkad, Assyr.
8. Hurri, Urartu, Mitanni, Canaan.
9. Egypt, Assyr, Babylon, Mitanni, Hittite.
10. Antagonus, Cassander, Lysimochos, Ptolemy, Selevkus.
11. Alexandrian, Bahktria, Pergamon, Bithinya, Galatia, Cappadocia, Atropatene, Macedonia, Partya, Persis, Pontus, Ptoleme, Selevkos, Epir.
12. Abasgians, Alamanni, Angles, Arabs, Asding Vandals, Balts, Berbers, British, Burdians, Eastern Roma Empire, Finns, Franks, Frisians, Huns, Irish, Jutes, Kingdom of Iberia, Kingdom of Lazica, Kingdom of Persarmania, Lombards, Marcomanni, Norse, Ostrogoths, Piots, Quadi, Saxons, Siling Vandals, Slavs, Swedes, Thuringians, Western Roman Empire.
13. Eastern Roman Empire, Vandals, Lombards, East Goths, Franks, West Goths.
14. Aghlabid caliphate, Alwa, Axum, Camel nomads (Great Sahara), Bantu speaking forest farmers, Herders and farmers, Ghana, Idrisid caliphate, Khoison herders, Makkura, Malagasay, Pastoral nomads, San hunter and gatherers, West African chiefdoms.
15. Air, Algiers, Arma, Asante, Awsa, Bornu, British territory, Camel nomads, Congo, Darfur, Eastern and western Bantu speaking herders and farmers, Ethiopia, Funj, Hausa states, Ka, Khoisan herders, Luba, Lunda, Malagasay, Mali, Mo, Morocco, Oromo, Oyo, Portugunese territory, Rozwi, San hunter-gatherers, Segu, So, Te, Wadai, Zanzibar.
16. Ainu hunter-gatherers, Annam, Ar, Arab nomads, Arctic marine mammal hunters, Australian boriginal hunter-gatherers, Borneo, Burmese Thais, Buwayhid emirates, Celebes, Champa, Chola state, Finns, Ge, Ghaznavid emirate, Hadramut, Hindu kingdoms, Japan, Java, Jürchen, Khmer empire, Korea, Liao, Minor Hindu and Buddhist states, Mon state, Nan Chao, Lapp reindeer herders, Mongtsols-kereitsongu, Samoyed reindeer herders, Tungusic and yakut reindeer herders, Turkic khanates, Papuan farmers, Pastoral nomads, Pyu state, Siberian hunter gatherers, Song empire, Srivijaya empire, Taiwan, Tasmanian hunter-gatherers, Tibet, Timor, Volga Bulgars, Xixia.
17. Aceh, Ainu hunter-gatherers, Annam, Arab nomads, Arakan, Ava, Ayutthaya, Bantam, Borneo, Brunei, Cambodia, Ceylon, Dutch territory, Euroassians steppe and desert nomads, Hindu kingdoms, Japan, Korea, Laotian states, Maratha lands, Mataram, Mughal empire, Papuan farmers, Portunese territory, Safavid empire, Shan state, Spanish territory.
18. Aceh, Afghanistan, Annam, Arab nomads, Bhutan, British territory, Burma, Central Asia khanates, Dutch territory, French territory, Japan, Korea, Laos, Malay states, Manchu Empire, Nepal, Oman, Papuan farmers, Persia, Portugunese territory, Siam, Spanish territory.
19. Balts, Burgundy, Bulgar Khanate, Byzantine Empire, Celtic kingdoms, Denmark, England, France, Holy Roman Empire, Hungary, Kievan rus, Leon, Navarre, Norse, Norway, Poland, Slavs, Sweden.
20. Austria, Denmark-Norway, France, Geneova, German states, Great Britain, Netherland, Ottoman Empire, Papal states, Poland, Portugal, Russian Empire, Savoy Piedmont, Spain, Sweden, Venice.
21. Germany, Albania, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Great Britain, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Italy, Serbia, Letonia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Hungary, Netherlands, Norway, Polonia, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Ukraine, Greece.